Choir audition can seem stressful. However, spending a little time to prepare for it will take much of the stress away. Remember, the audition is your opportunity to be heard, to be discovered -- your moment to shine.
Pick a short selection for the audition, to be sung from memory, a cappella (without accompaniment). And practice, practice, practice.
Don’t bring a pre-recorded track to the audition. The directors are interested in hearing your voice and the recording will cover it up.
What to expect at MUSYCA Children’s Choir audition?
• Choir audition is fun, informal, and stress-free.
• The only people listening at this private audition will be MUSYCA director(s) and you.
• You will sing the prepared selection from memory, a cappella.
• You will echo a few short melodies and rhythms, and vocalize to demonstrate your vocal range.
• We will recommend a choral ensemble placement, which fits your age and vocal development.
What to sing at the audition?
• Choose a piece that you love to sing, have been singing for a while and know well.
• Any song will do. A melodic piece that shows off your voice will work best. We recommend a folk song, a musical theatre selection or an art song.
• If you don’t have a song prepared, we’ll ask you to sing a familiar tune (Happy Birthday, etc.).
• There is no minimum time requirement for a song. Usually, one verse and a chorus is enough.
Have fun and enjoy your audition!